Sheet Vinyl Options
Vinyl Sheet is a layered construction sold in both 6' and 12' widths. There are two types of construction identified by the type of backing used:
- Felt: Felt-backed is the most popular choice today in sheet vinyl.
- Fiberglass: This newer type of construction provides a more resilient, cushioned feel underfoot and offers the most comfort and the most installation options.
The top layers of construction are identical in both felt and fiberglass vinyl flooring:
- Protective top coat: Urethane or another high-performance top coat provides ease of maintenance by resisting scratches and scuffs in a wipe clean finish.
- Protective clear vinyl layer: This thick layer of protection enhances performance and adds durability by protecting against rips, tears, and gouges. The thicker the clear vinyl layer, the more durable and lasting your vinyl floor will be.
- Printed vinyl design layer: The rotogravure printing process allows an unlimited array of patterns and designs in vinyl flooring. In fact, some of today's top-selling styles feature very realistic interpretations of natural materials including wood and stone.
The bottom layers for both constructions differ:
- Felt: Sheet vinyl with a bottom layer of felt adheres directly to the subfloor.
- Fiberglass: Fiberglass backed vinyl flooring provides for greater dimensional stability. This means fiberglass vinyl will not curl, lays flat, and installs without glue. Additionally, the fiberglass backing provides a cushiony, soft feel underfoot.
- The type of backing determines how your vinyl floor can be installed.
Add Up the Advantages of Vinyl
Ease of installation, carefree maintenance, overall durability and value ... with all these great features and a great price, vinyl can't be beat.
Its rugged versatility and water resistance accounts for its widespread use in kitchens, bathrooms, family rooms, dens, playrooms, finished basements and workshops. Vinyl stands up to moisture, heavy household traffic, and the active play of children and pets.
No matter where you install vinyl, it never needs waxing. You can wipe away scuff marks and food spills with a damp paper towel! Now, that's easy clean-up.
Add Up the Advantages of Vinyl
Available in high-fashion designs made possible through innovative manufacturing techniques, today's vinyl combines a luxurious appearance and cozy, foot-cushioning resilience to make a truly elegant - and comfortable - floor covering.
It's vinyl like you've never seen it before! The look of vinyl has changed drastically in the last few years, making your design possibilities limitless. Along with traditional and contemporary fashion colors and geometric patterns, vinyl is now available in natural wood and stone looks. The remarkable variety of decorator designs makes it more practical than ever for your home's formal as well as casual settings.
Remarkably realistic, vinyl flooring that reflects the timeless beauty of wood and stone retains all the other traditional advantages of vinyl, including low maintenance and affordability.
Let your imagination run free. Vinyl's newest looks were created to expand your decorating plans without expanding your budget.
All these elements make a difference in how your floor will look. Don't forget to check out Installation to learn all about the little details that make a big difference when transitioning from old floors to new.